The Suwannee High School (SHS) Prom is scheduled for May 4, 2019. There are some important guidelines to keep in mind as you prepare for this event. SHS staff works hard to make this night, not only a special event, but a safe event. With careful preparations and awareness of the guidelines/rules, which will be enforced, a pleasant time can be enjoyed without any incidents.
1. GUEST/DATES: ALL non-SHS enrolled persons who attend the prom MUST be the invited guest of a currently enrolled SHS 11th or 12th grader. ALL guests/dates of SHS students MUST be approved by Friday “week” of (10 days) before the prom. Guests/Dates must meet the following criteria to be considered:
a) Be under the age of 21 on the day of the prom.
b) Have no felony arrests or drug/violence/sex-related arrests (felony or misdemeanor) on their record. (Be aware that a background check will be made on all invited guests.)
c) Have not been previously expelled or suspended from school for a drug or sexual-related incident.
The SHS student will be held accountable for the actions of their guest. Guest must comply with all rules and guidelines of the prom and it is the SHS student date’s responsibility to be sure they are made aware of these expectations. A photo ID of the approved guest will be required to be shown at the door prior to entrance. The SHS student should not pay for the ticket of their guest until the guest has been approved.
2. DRESS: Men- Tuxedo or suit with tie. The tuxedo jacket may be removed after entrance into the prom, however, the shirt must remain on and buttoned throughout the evening (even if an undershirt is worn beneath).
Ladies- Formal gown or cocktail dress. The dress must have a modest neckline and cover enough of the back so that it does not give the “impression” of a “totally” backless dress. Dresses that are strapless or spaghetti strapped must be of a cut or design so that they represent a modest impression. Dresses must be long enough so that they meet the “length” standard of the SHS dress code (no more than 4” above the knee). Dresses with slits must be slit “no higher” than mid-thigh. “See through” or revealing material should not be worn. “Two piece” dresses are not allowed.
3. DRUG/ALCOHOL SCREENING: All students and their guests will be screened at the door for drugs and alcohol. Students must pass the “screening” in order to gain admittance into the prom event. ALL students will breathe into a breathalyzer and K-9 officers may be present to scan cars for drugs. Students and guests who are found to be in violation of the drug or alcohol policy (possession or influence of) will be arrested and suffer school discipline as per policy.
4. NO READMITTANCE: Students who leave the prom will not be allowed to return. Students who need to go to their car for any reason will be escorted, but anyone leaving the premises will not be allowed to re-enter.
5. PARENT VISITS: Parents will be allowed to be at the entrance of the Prom to “take pictures” of their child’s arrival. However, they will not be allowed to enter the proms “inside” area after students have begun to arrive.
6. CHAPERONES: Only approved official chaperones will be allowed inside the prom area after students begin arriving.
7. Tickets: Tickets are $35 each. Tickets can be purchased from Mrs. K. Wynn.